Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Muddy Buddy

I have been holding out on updating in hopes of posting some pictures from the Muddy Buddy. I don't have the pictures from our camera uploaded (Bo has to do it on his computer), and I need to buy the ones from the website.

Most of you probably haven’t heard of the Muddy Buddy so I’ll explain it a little. It’s an adventure race, which means that it has two or more different activities. This race included running, mountain biking and then some obstacle courses at each switch point. The course was between 6 – 7 miles. Bo started off on the bicycle and I started running. The first switch point was a rock wall. After that I got on the bike and Bo ran. It keeps going like that until you get to the end. The person who gets there first waits on the other one, and then you swim through a giant mud pit together. It was cold, gross and, well, a little fun.

I think we ended up coming in somewhere around the middle. We didn’t want to use this race as an actual competition, but rather an introduction to what adventure racing would be like. We enjoyed it and have since talked about doing more. We’d like to do some that included kayaking, canoeing, orienteering, etc. Our biggest challenge is getting up in the morning to work out before it is too hot. I’ve found that we’re more likely to work out if we do it in the morning, rather than going after Bo gets off work. We just need to get up earlier than we have been.

We enjoy being active because it not only gives us something in common, but it’s healthy. Hopefully we’ll be able to continue doing stuff like this even when we have kids. I can’t imagine not. I don’t think I’ll be strapping a newborn to my back to go run a marathon, but I imagine we’ll find ways to include kids in our adventures. At least in Austin, I've seen runners pushing strollers, hikers with their little ones in carriers, bikers also with the carriers, etc. It’s going to be a while before we have to worry about any of that though…haha.

2 comments:

Cora Lynn 10:16 AM  

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard of! They are called 'muddy buddy' races? I'll have to look into that. I'm so overweight and out of shape right now but we are moving to Colorado and my goal is to start running as a hobby. That way I'm not focused on numbers or inches, ya know? My husband loves the outdoors and I would love to be a partner he could do this kind of race with.

W 11:46 AM  

Yeah the race itself is called the Muddy Buddy and they have them all over the US. It looks like there is one in Boulder. If you want to start running definitely get a good pair of shoes. Consider going to a running store and getting fitted. They might be a little more expensive, but a good fit will decrease your chances of injury. Also, Jeff Galloway has a good running program, especially for beginners. I've been hooked ever since we started the outdoors stuff - it's a very healthy addiction! Congrats on moving to Colorado!

  © Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP