Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Anniversary Post

Well I've been wanting to write this post for a while now, but for some reason I've been putting it off. I've been busy so that's probably why. I'm still learning how to use this efficiently so I think the more I use it the easier it will be for me to post. We're almost done with the redesign as well.

Our 5th Wedding Anniversary was on June 12. We wanted to do something special because we don't usually do anything other than dinner. We decided to go camping at Colorado Bend State Park. After we made our reservations I discovered this zip-lining place outside of Austin, and since Bo had never been before we decided to do that too! So we had camping booked Thursday and Friday (11th and 12th) and then had zip-lining scheduled for Sunday the 14th.

If you want to read about our camping trip, go over to our camping page.

After church, we left for Cypress Valley Canopy Tours in Spicewood, Texas. We signed up for the regular zip-lining course, the challenge course and made reservations to stay in the Lofthaven. Yes, we stayed the night in a tree house! After they give you a little school in how to zip-line, you start off by zip-lining off a building. Although it was hot that day, you're under the canopy so it isn't too bad. They also provided water throughout the tour. During the tour, the guides also talk about the flora and the working ranch surrounding the course. The people who own the ranch and Cypress Valley Canopy Tours seem to be very environmentally conscious. They use wind power, solar power and do rain water harvesting. The guide said the total bills for the ranch are $120 a month. That's close to our bills. That's just amazing.


The challenge course was separate and well challenging. You really had to concentrate on what you were doing or you would fall. Bo was doing it like he was born an acrobat or something. He really loved it, which surprised me because I was afraid he wouldn't. I enjoyed it, but was constantly reminded of how little upper body strength I have. I need to start using my weights again.



At the end, the guides took us to zip-line to our treehouse. They parked our car near the treehouse and there was a footbridge there so we could get to our car and the bath house without having to zip-line - haha. We had a little picnic, played some cards and then woke up to the sound of birds in the morning. It was incredibly refreshing and I hope we go back in a couple of years. To see more pictures, click here. There are some really funny ones!

3 comments:

Unknown 3:10 PM  

Oh my gosh - this is the collest thing EVER. I'm totally saving this idea for an anniversary/quarterly review getaway - how fun! Thanks for sharing. I'm also really enjoying your camping blog. Danny and I planned a fun camping weekend at Enchanted Rock a few months ago and ended up leaving early because it wouldn't stop raining - sometimes that just happens. But we hope to go back there as well!

Unknown 8:03 PM  

I love all that reclamation stuff you know. It's been suggested to me that if you push the financial benefits alone, most people would switch; this not being how my brain works, I have my doubts, and tend to make the ethical sell (not terribly effective). I should really visit this ranch sometime! I'm impressed!
I'm also really glad you two had a fantastic time! :) We're not coming to Austin, sadly; but you're on my "to visit" list permanently.

W 11:08 AM  

I'm hoping they continue to do the research into making solar power more efficient. I think that's one of the reasons we haven't made that jump yet. That kind of brings in the financial vs. ethical aspect. You also have to realize that sometimes it takes $$ to be ethical...$$ we don't always have. However, I think I'm going to go get a rain barrel soon. The city will reimburse us $30, and this is pretty good considering I've found them about $54.95 so around $25 is pretty darn good! I really want to live on a sustainable farm...that would be a neat way to live. I would also like to add that I know farm life isn't easy, but for some reason I'm drawn to it. This is a pretty rambling response...oh well.

  © Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP