Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Garden Woes

So this morning I decided to mulch my gardens with some leaves that I've been saving for quite some time. Of course, this is something I should have done a while back. Mulching helps keep the roots cool and slows down evaporation. This way you save water! It gets so hot here, so this is a very important aspect to water conservation. I chose the leaves as mulch because they were free. I've also purchased mulch before so if you don't have leaves, straw, or stuff like that you can always buy it from your local home/garden store.

Now to woe part. This morning I noticed a couple of onions that were on top of the soil. I'm not talking about the ones that look half-in, half-out (normal I think) - these were completely pulled out and resting on top of the soil! I picked them up and put the small guys in my weed bucket for safe-keeping. Fast-forward to this evening. Bo gets home and he's out there looking and says, "It looks like some of the onions have been pulled out." There's like three more that have been pulled up! I'm convinced it's a squirrel. Apparently this is not uncommon. They've already dug up my basil. Anyhow, I can use the onions, but they're certainly a lot smaller than I had hoped for.

I put the dogs outside in hopes of keeping the varmits at bay, but I just can't bring myself to put them outside during the hottest part of the day. They have shade and water, but I just can't do it. We have an insulated garage so they stay in there part of the time, in the house part of the time and outside. They're also both black so that makes it even hotter for them. Cannon I think can completely cool himself, but Brodie is part Boxer. With that short snout of his he can't cool down as efficiently as Cannon. Google brachycephalic dogs if you are more interested.

Also, we have a couple in our small group that is pregnant. I don't know what is going on exactly, but they need some prayer. It sounds like something could be wrong. She has already had one miscarriage earlier this year. I can't imagine what they are going through, but I can at least pray and ask other prayers on their behalf.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Contemplation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP